Car insurance is there to protect you from financial struggle if you are involved in a car accident. Most states in the U.S require a minimum amount.
Choosing the right auto insurance company can be overwhelming, to say the least. Rates, details that affect rates, discounts, company comparison, and much more go into the decision-making process. It can be stressful to make a choice and be confident in it.
Allstate and Progressive have received similar ratings on different platforms across the internet.
The question is, which auto insurance company is best for you? Are Allstate and Progressive even a good option for you?
Compare auto insurance now
What coverage does Allstate offer?
Allstate is the fourth-largest insurance company provider in the country. Allstate’s personal auto insurance includes the following types of coverage:
- Liability: It is required by law in every state except New Hampshire. There are two types: Property Damage coverage and Bodily Injury coverage.
- Collision: It pays for the damages done to your car in an accident. Fault is not a factor.
- Comprehensive: This will cover car replacement if it’s stolen or damaged in a non-collision accident. Examples include:
- Theft or vandalism
- Broken windows
- Storms or natural disasters
- Medical Payments: It’s head-to-toe protection. It covers medical expenses of an insured driver and their passengers if any are injured due to an accident.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist: Helps pay for property damage/medical expenses that are caused in an accident by a vehicle owner who is un/underinsured.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): This helps customers pay for costs not covered by your health insurance.
- Personal Umbrella Policy (PUP): Umbrella coverage is there for you when “regular” insurance doesn’t cut it. Think of it as a safety net policy.
- Roadside: Provides financial aid for roadside assistance costs, including:
- Jump starts
- Tired changes
- Delivery of fuel
- Getting locked out
- Rental Reimbursement: This is an optional policy. It can assist in paying for your rental car while you're awaiting repairs on a vehicle damaged in an accident.
- Sound System Insurance: Most auto insurers won’t offer this. It provides money to replace stolen or damaged car equipment, speakers, and speaker components.
Allstate's discounts for days
We love some good discounts! Here’s what Allstate delivers:
- Allstate eSmart: Signing up for a paperless ePolicy equals a — you guessed it — discount!
- Anti-Lock Brake: Cars equipped with antilock brakes will get you a discount.
- Anti-Theft Device: Drivers whose cars are equipped with an anti-theft device qualify for this discount.
- Deductible Rewards: Each year that drivers are collision-free, Allstate takes $100 off their deductible — up to $500.
- Drivewise: Signing up for Allstate’s Drivewise program will discount your premium.
- Early Signing: Sign a policy a week before its effective date and earn a discount.
- EZ Pay Plan: To earn this one, just set up an automatic withdrawal of your premiums.
- Multiple Policy: Purchasing several Allstate policies can save you cash on the monthly premium.
- New Car: Drivers who purchase a new car that is either the current model year or one year prior and who is the first owner qualify for the new car discount.
- Pay-in-Full: Pay all at once and receive a discount. It’s that simple.
- Responsible Payer: Customers who have not received a cancellation notice for nonpayment in the past year earn a discount.
- Smart Student: You must have a GPA of 2.7 or above, be unmarried and under the age of 25 to get this discount.
- Safe Driving Bonus: Go without an accident for six months, and Allstate rewards its drivers with a bonus! Score.
Pros and cons of Allstate auto insurance
- Offer discounts and premiums
- Provides a wide array of reliable agents for personal service
- Easy-to-file claims
- Perks including accident forgiveness, new car replacement, and a safe-driving bonus every six months
- Supplies rideshare insurance in most states
- Customer satisfaction ratings are below average compared with other companies.
- Premium increases after the first term
- Insurance is only sold in six-month terms
Progressive’s national advertising campaign reaches customers all over the U.S. with its spunky television commercials. We all know and love Flo from Progressive, but what does their company actually have to offer?
Progressive coverage options
There is some overlap between the coverage that both Allstate and Progressive offer. Progressive coverage options include:
- Liability: It protects you if you are legally responsible for damage or injury in a car accident. There are two types: Property Damage and Bodily Injury.
- Collision: This coverage is usually required if you lease or finance your car.
- Comprehensive: It covers damage that takes place out of your control.
- Medical Payments: This is also known as MedPay coverage.
- Roadside Assistance: Services are provided by Agero, which is trusted by over 80 million drivers nationwide.
- Gap Coverage: Optional auto insurance. It applies if a car is stolen/deemed a total loss.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: This will pay for a rental car while your car is being repaired
- Custom Parts and Equipment: Added elements to your car can be replaced.
- Rideshare: For Uber and Lyft drivers, this fills the gap not covered by rideshare services.
- Deductible Savings Bank: Progressive will subtract $50 from your collision and comprehensive deductible for every claim-free policy period.
- Uninsured/underinsured: Progressive offers four different types of this coverage.
Progressive discounts and deals
Some (but not all) of Progressive’s discounts vary depending on where you live. Here is a list of them:
- Auto-Pay: Setting up automatic payments with Progressive can save you money.
- Distant Student: If a student under the age of 22 and living over 100 miles away from home is on your policy, you can receive a discount.
- Good Student: Students who maintain a B average or higher are eligible for the good student discount.
- Homeowner: Save 10% (on average) on your policy if you switch to Progressive.
- Multi-Policy: If you have two or more insurance policies with Progressive, you’ll save 5%, on average.
- Multi-Vehicle: If you have two or more vehicles insured with Progressive, you’ll save an average of 12% on your premiums.
- Online Quote: Get your policy quote online and save an average of 4%.
- Paperless: Request to receive all Progressive documents via email for a discount.
- Pay-In-Full: Pay for your policy all at once and get money off your purchase.
- Sign Online: If you’re comfortable signing your insurance documents online, you can save an average of 8.5%.
- Snapshot: The Snapshot tool calculates savings based on your driving habits. The average discount is $145.
- Teen Driver: Offset the cost of adding a teen driver with this discount. The driver must be 18 years old or younger to qualify.
Pros and cons of Progressive auto insurance
- A good option for drivers who have been involved in an accident
- Rewards its customers for good driving habits
- Offers discounts (like Snapshot) that can save drivers an average of $130
- Shows steady signs of growth, which suggests continued stability for its customers
- Provides competitive rates for a driver with one DUI
- Bad service for young drivers in search of the lowest rates
- Their customer service was ranked below average in the 2020 J.D Power study
- Can be more expensive than competing brands
Don’t go into insurance hunting alone. Squeeze is a reliable tool to make daunting decisions a bit easier and more stress-free! You can never have enough information when choosing the best rates and deals for your auto insurance. Utilizing services that make the process easier will save you a lot of time and brain-power.
All auto insurance companies offer different coverage options and discounts. Some are better for young drivers, while some benefit those with accident history. Progressive and Allstate are leading auto insurance companies, but that does not mean they are right for you. Do your research and find the tools that make life easier. You’ll be on your way to finding great personalized insurance policies in no time.
>>COMPARE RATES: Compare car insurance